This classic layer cake is easy to make and so pretty. It’s perfect for summer celebrations, birthdays, romantic dates, and other special occasions.
If you’re looking for yummy cake filling ideas, try making a plant-based filling by mixing coconut cream with some wild berry powders. For this cake, we used wild lingonberry powder which gives a beautiful light pink color to the filling and it boosts your cake with antioxidants. We think this is one of the healthiest cake fillings for a vanilla cake. You can also try our wild blueberry powder for a beautiful purple filling, or our wild sea buckthorn powder for a delicate orange color.
This recipe is made as a mini cake, with a cake pan of 5 inches (13 cm) in diameter. If you do it in a regular-sized (9 inches / 23 cm) round cake pan, just triple the ingredient amounts.
Pretty layer cake with lingonberry cream filling
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
1/3 cup (80mL) sugar
1/3 cup (80mL) white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Lingonberry cream filling
1 cup (240mL) coconut milk or heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons Arctic Flavors lingonberry powder
1/4 vanilla extract (optional)
Fresh fruit, such as cherries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
- Turn on the oven to 175 C / 350 F. If you are using a springform cake pan, add a parchment paper sheet at the bottom. Oil a cake pan with canola oil or butter. Dust the cake pan with plain breadcrumbs or flour.
- Beat the eggs and sugar into a foam. Mix the flour and baking powder. Slowly add them in the egg-sugar foam, mixing until smooth.
- Pour the cake mix into the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 25-40 minutes, depending on the cake size and the oven. You can try if the cake is ready by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, with no streaks of batter. A few small crumbs are OK.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar, lingonberry powder, vanilla extract (if using) with the heavy cream or the hard part of coconut milk (instructions in our recipe easy oat muffins with wild blueberry topping). Foam until a thick cream forms.
- Once the cake has cooled, cut it carefully into 3 equal layers. Add filling in between layers and at the top of the cake. Finish with favorite toppings.
You may be interested in:
Wild Lingonberry Powder€13.50
Hope you enjoyed this classic layer cake recipe with a yummy lingonberry cream filling between the cake layers. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to us on our social media channels:
Thanks for reading!